The Visual BACnet Capture Tool is an application that captures BACnet traffic (IP, Ethernet, and MS/TP) into a file and then automatically uploads it to Visual BACnet for analysis.
Please refer to the Visual BACnet Capture Tool: Quick Start Guide for details on how to use it.
- A Visual BACnet account (cloud or on-premise server).
- An API key generated from Visual BACnet. Please see Finding Your API Key for instructions.
- A supported operating system: Ubuntu 18.04 (64-bit)
- Ideal host hardware:
- 1.4 GHz or faster processor
- 2 GB of RAM or more
- 2 GB of hard disk space or more
- A network connection capable of reaching Visual BACnet
- The latest version of Google's Chrome Web Browser.
NOTE: This is required in order to manage the tool locally or from another computer on the same network.
- A capture interface, either built-in (i.e. Ethernet port) or USB adapter (i.e. USB-to-Ethernet or USB-to-MS/TP) that is supported by Ubuntu.
NOTE: Download the installer to your default download folder (e.g. Home > Downloads).
- Added ability to capture BACnet/Ethernet traffic.
- Added support for custom SSL certificates
- Miscellaneous bug fixes and stability improvements
- First release for Ubuntu Linux
This software uses port 4000. Before installing it, make sure that no other software on your system is using this port.
If this is a first time install, open a terminal and issue the following command:
dpkg -l |grep pcap
If you do not see the word "libpcap" anywhere in the results, then issue the following command:
sudo apt-get install libpcap0.8
Once the "libpcap" library is installed, install the "libpcap-dev" library with the following command:
sudo apt-get install libpcap-dev
Using the download link above, download the installer (.deb file) and make sure that it is in your download folder (e.g. Home > Downloads).
Issue the following commands:
NOTE: In place of <USERNAME>, use your actual Ubuntu username.
sudo dpkg -i optigocapturetool_<VERSION>_amd64.deb
NOTE: In place of <VERSION>, use the version information in the installation package's filename.
Wait for installation to complete and then proceed to the Visual BACnet Capture Tool: Quick Start Guide to start using the capture tool.